- President of St. Thomas University
- Pro to the question "Is a College Education Worth It?"
“The premise that ‘college is not worth it’ is based on the notion that one’s return on such an investment is the only reason that a person should go to college. In actuality, the value of a college degree goes far beyond its total cost. Indeed, a college degree — and the experience of earning one’s degree — benefits its recipient for a lifetime, and a college education is a benefit for the common good of any community.
A college degree is always an investment worth making.
In the years a student spends working to obtain a degree, he or she develops as a person in ways that cannot be measured by the ‘investment’ of going to college. Whether through group projects with fellow students, an internship with a company, or individual research on behalf of a professor, the college experience educates the whole individual, and helps to develop the person’s values.
It is during one’s college years that one develops a sense of self, a world view, an appreciation for the dignity of people, and an enthusiasm for the arts. Also, because of various internship and volunteer opportunities during college, the college graduate has gained a deeper understanding of the importance of civic engagement.”
“College Degree Always Worth the Investment,” miamiherald.com, June 21, 2013
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the study of higher education. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to the study of higher education.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- President, St. Thomas University, 1994-present
- Director, Institute for STU-China Executive Forum for Leadership Development, St. Thomas University
- Faculty Member, Department of Religious Studies, St. Thomas University
- Member, Board of Governors, Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce
- Secretary, Board of Directors, Carrfour Corporation
- Member, Board of Directors, Palmetto General Hospital, 2012
- Donor, Catholic Community Foundation, Archdiocese of Miami
- Board Member, Orange Bowl Committee
- Board Member, Fonkoze USA
- Appointee, Governor’s Haiti Advisory Group
- Member, Executive Council, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
- Member, Governing Board, Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities
- Member, Presidents Council of Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida
- Member, Florida Association of Colleges & Universities
- Co-founder, Haiti-Tech
- Member, Board of Trustees, St. John Vianney College Seminary
- MDiv, Immaculate Conception Seminary
- BA, Sacred Theology, Catholic University
- BA, Humanities and Philosophy, Seton Hall University
- Former Vicar General, Chancellor and Moderator, Curia of the Archdiocese of Newark, New Jersey
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, Seton Hall University
- Former Member, Governing Board, Fair Oaks Hospital
- Former Member, Board of Trustees and Executive Committee, Bloomfield College
- Received Monsignor title, 1979
- Ordained by the Catholic Church, 1967
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Is a College Education Worth It?