- Special correspondent for Newsweek and The Daily Beast
- Con to the question "Is a College Education Worth It?"
“Mythomania about college has turned getting a degree into an American neurosis. It’s sending parents to the poorhouse and saddling students with a backpack full of debt that doesn’t even guarantee a good job in the end…
Why are we spending so much money on college?
And why are we so unhappy about it? We all seem to agree that a college education is wonderful, and yet strangely we worry when we see families investing so much in this supposedly essential good. Maybe it’s time to ask a question that seems almost sacrilegious: is all this investment in college education really worth it?
The answer, I fear, is that it’s not. For an increasing number of kids, the extra time and money spent pursuing a college diploma will leave them worse off than they were before they set foot on campus.”
“Is College a Lousy Investment?,” Newsweek, thedailybeast.com, Sep. 9, 2012
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Columnist, Bloomberg View, July 15, 2013
- Correspondent, Newsweek and The Daily Beast, June 2012-June 2013
- Former writer and editor, The Atlantic, 2007-June 2012
- Writer, The Economist, 2003-Aug. 2007
- Blogger, “Live from the WTC” (renamed “Asymmetrical Information” in Nov. 2002), Nov. 2001-June 2013
- MBA, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
- BA, English, University of Pennsylvania
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Is a College Education Worth It?