- Special correspondent for Newsweek and The Daily Beast
- Con to the question "Is a College Education Worth It?"
“Mythomania about college has turned getting a degree into an American neurosis. It’s sending parents to the poorhouse and saddling students with a backpack full of debt that doesn’t even guarantee a good job in the end…
Why are we spending so much money on college?
And why are we so unhappy about it? We all seem to agree that a college education is wonderful, and yet strangely we worry when we see families investing so much in this supposedly essential good. Maybe it’s time to ask a question that seems almost sacrilegious: is all this investment in college education really worth it?
The answer, I fear, is that it’s not. For an increasing number of kids, the extra time and money spent pursuing a college diploma will leave them worse off than they were before they set foot on campus.”
“Is College a Lousy Investment?,” Newsweek, thedailybeast.com, Sep. 9, 2012
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the study of higher education. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to the study of higher education.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Columnist, Bloomberg View, July 15, 2013
- Correspondent, Newsweek and The Daily Beast, June 2012-June 2013
- Former writer and editor, The Atlantic, 2007-June 2012
- Writer, The Economist, 2003-Aug. 2007
- Blogger, “Live from the WTC” (renamed “Asymmetrical Information” in Nov. 2002), Nov. 2001-June 2013
- MBA, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
- BA, English, University of Pennsylvania
- Contact Info:
- 800-631-1040 (Newsweek main line)
- None found
- Bloomberg View Opinion Page
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Is a College Education Worth It?